Sunday, September 18, 2016

Ted Horton poem

Here is another poem I wrote to recognize a well known and well liked lawyer here in Owen Sound. It was to be read to him at a public function here but I did not finish it. I just came across it in my files and though that since the thread of a good idea was there I should polish it up.I have never met Mr. Horton but I have spoken to him over the phone when he purchased one of my paintings.  

Ted Horton   
by Noel E. Martin
 
If a monicker like Ted Horton,                
Should set you all to snorting’,              
"Sounds like a hockey player to me,     
Purveyor of donuts, coffee and tea,”   
Well you'd be wrong about that,            
'Cause he's not that kind of cat,            
He's a gentleman, a lawyer, Q.C.        
 
And though you may think this is funny, 
Gives his time and his money                 
To others less fortunate than he,             
A more generous type there can’t be,    
Not a “sugar and spice” guy,                   
But genuinely nice guy,                           
Possessing a heart as big as the sea.    
 
I bet when he departs from this life,          
Sorrow will cut like a knife,                        
And his final reward if you please,           
Will send Old Lucifer down on his knees,
“Its bad news I’ve been given,                    
First attorney in heaven,                             
And the _______* is waiving his fees!”  


*Help compose this poem by inserting your 
choice of descriptive adjective/s here.

No comments: